A good way to recognize the WW1 Centenary 1914-2014 will be releasing one of the best single seat fighters of the war, the SE5a. It's a grand way for a new kit to enter the R/C world. A lot of you have been asking about the kit and it's details, mostly focusing on the wood structure. I posted some photos that give you an idea of what to expect in the kit. The first photo shows the horizontal bottom wing spar tubing that sets the bottom wing incidence. A clever design setting the incidence automatically. Following that photo you see the turtle deck design. Notice that the stringers are above the formers. You might notice the headrest screw support locations embedded in the stringers as well. The pilot storage area is clear as well. The former count indicates a late model SE5a design. Shown in the next photo are the bottom wing ribs. Not sure if you realize but the bottom and top wing panels are slightly different in rib count. You can recognize that if you study some SE5a photos. I made the decision to make the ribs one piece versus the three piece original design. Which means the one piece spars will slide thru the basswood ribs. Works out rather well. A lot of ribs and nose ribs are used to make the wing panels which you can see a top wing panel assembly. It is strong and weighs in below one pound as shown. Following that you will see a typical aileron leading edge spar. Note that the original was three pieces which the kit will do the same. This piece is sandwiched between two 1/32 plywood covers. The center spare is CNC routed with the hinge locations pre-drilled. The stabilizer and elevator are shown in the next photo. You can see the control horn with the key in the elevator stringer which wires attached to. Keeping the original rib design means pulleys will be used throughout the plane. The tail area has eight pulley assemblies which are in the kit. You can see the brass fitting center of stabilizer spar which is the pivot point for the stabilizer-fuselage design. The center wing panel follows next. This is a busy area for the SE5a. A lot of wires depend on a solid design as well as R/C modelers need to grab this area for engine run ups. With that said a few more nose ribs have been added and the basswood rib thickness has been increased from 1/8 to 3/16. It's very strong. Notice the four round tubes on the outer ribs. These are here to help field assembly. The wing panels will plug into these as you secure the wires. Off to the left and left bottom you can see that the emergency gas and water tanks will be recreated to the last rivet as well as the screw locations for the Foster mount. Next you can see the simple fin / rudder design using carbon fiber tubing for posts. The fin has the slot in it for the flying wires and notice the Robart hinges. Those hinges are actually pretty close to scale which works out well. These pieces as well as the others are quite strong which will support the linen covering. When recreating a subject plane you run across some unique components that are complicated to recreate and expensive. The SE5a has a lot of these so I decided to incorporate the latest technology with the help of Tony Martino who hails from California and is a wizard with 3D design. We recreated some of these components and we are working on more but here is some show-n-tell. The first piece is the rudder bar support which is bolted to the forward cockpit floor. This component would be rather hard to fabricate in metal. Following that is the tail skid shoe. The tail skid is quite complicated but having this shoe recreated really finalizes a difficult design. It's really nice to have the tail pipe end recreated into a simple insert. That takes a lot of work out of the builder's que. If you have not seen a Hisso engine up close the valve covers are big and long. Being really visible makes them a perfect candidate for this new technology as shown here. They are about 10-1/2 inches long which will look amazing on the model. Next you will see the late oil cover version which even has the lettering embossed. It will look really nice painted PC10 on the port side. Finally, a friend of mine Robert Cooper lend me his 1/4 scale 20lb. Cooper bomb that Paul Knapp made for his Snipe project years ago. This particular bomb is made out of aluminum. It's just lovely. I will recreate this as some SE5a's had bomb racks. Should be interesting. I will post more SE5a photos again soon. Looking forward in getting my SE5a flying as the weather should be warming up here soon. A lot of great WW1 events are scheduled this year. Hope to see you at some of them. As always any comments or questions just visit my contact page.